In the surroundings of ISlow there is plenty of leisure options in nature but if you really want to explore Costa da Morte, fill yourself with inspiration and soak up its essence, we recommend you to explore it on foot following O Camiño dos Faros (The Lighthouse Way).
Today we want to talk to you about this special hiking route that runs along the Costa da Morte from Malpica to Finisterre. A total of 8 stages full of magic, sea, beaches and, of course, the lighthouses that will guide you along the route.
Unlike others, this is not a century-old path full of traditions, but rather a recent initiative that arose in 2013 from the motivation of a group of Trasnos friends determined to revive and show the beauty and richness of this region to the rest of the world.
In 2013, six Trasnos explorers accompanied by two dogs made their way for the first time and managed to connect Malpica with Fisterra along the coast with no help other than their equipment.
Since then they have continued working to conserve and promote this route as a sustainable destination. They have managed to make out of O Camiño dos Faros a tool of great impact in the development of A Costa da Morte.
Today, thousands of people keep coming year after year maintaining this spectacular path alive.
General data of Camiño dos Faros
- Coordinates: In total there are 8 stages with departures from Malpica, Niñóns, Ponteceso, Laxe, Arou, Camariñas, Muxía and Nemiña, ending in Finisterre.
- How to get there: All arrival locations are available on the O Camiño dos Faros official website.
- Type of route: The 8 route stages are linear, it is recommended either to go in two cars or to take a taxi from the end of a stage to the beginning where you have left the car.
- Type of trail: In the 8 stages it is fully signposted, and you have all kinds; forest tracks, small sections of road until … most of the time, you will be very close to the sea by cliffs, beaches and fishermen’s trails.
- Slope: It depends on each stage.
- Mileage: The average of each stage is around 25 km, the shortest is 17.7 and the longest 32. They are routes that we could call “full day”.
- Duration: About 8 hours per stage.
- Recommendations: Always carry enough water with you and check the weather before leaving, in Costa da Morte the weather is quite changeable and a clear day can change to very cloudy or foggy in a few minutes. Bring appropriate shoes and clothing, as you will walk on dirt roads but also on stone.
Camiño dos Faros por etapas
Here are the highlights of each of the 8 stages:
Stage 1: Malpica – Niñóns (21.9 km)
The first stage of the Camiño dos Faros leaves from Puerto de Malpica to reach Niñóns Beach, during this stage you will pass neither more nor less than 6 beaches (Area Maior, Seaia, Beo, Seiruga, Barizo and Niñóns), incredible cliffs and other points of interest, such as the Sisargas Islands or the Nariga coast until reaching Playa de Niñóns, passing through a cliff area.
In total, the route is about 22 km with a cumulative difference of 459 meters. It may not seem too demanding, but we assure you that there is a section of about 5 km at the end of the stage with important climbs and, as will happen in the 8 stages of the Camiño dos Faros, the views are simply spectacular.